Written by Chewberto420
Winterization Is the process of removing all residual, solvents, waxes and fats from the final product using ethanol to make an “Absolute” product.
We do this to create a pure product that is easy on your lungs and safer for consumption.
If done properly you can create some tasty and super stable products.
1. Provide Quality single solvent Butane Hash Oil of any consistency.
We have a small batch of 6.0 Grams of crystalline BHO flake to winterize.
2. Use ethanol that IS NOT Denatured, I am using Everclear for this process.
3. Get your product ready!
4. Grab a Clean Mason Jar with Lid and your Temp Gun…
5. Pour the Everclear into the Mason Jar, you want to use around 1-2 oz of ethanol per gram of oil product. if you’d like to expedite the emulsifying process, you can heat up the ethonal to about 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit (No Open Flames), use your Infrared Temp gun and check your temps, make sure to stay around 85 degrees to preserve terpenes.
6. After your ethanol has reached a nice temp of 85 degrees,
Get Your BHO product ( Firestomper OG from Firehouse Genetics Colorado)
and pour it into the ethanol mix.
7. Put the lid on the Mason jar, and swirl the ethanol hash blend around to begin breaking down the mix until it is emulsified, and is one solution.
Nice and Clear…
8. After you’ve mixed up your Ethanol and hash into a single clear solution, you are going to put this jar in the freezer for 24-48 hours. The freezing process will occur more rapidly under lower temps.
At this time, throw another clean Mason Jar into the freezer to prepare for the liquid transfer..
After 24-48 hours, you will notice Plant waxes and fats (lipids) coagulating within the liquid mix.
It is now time to filter..
9. Grab your Unbleached Coffee filters and a funnel.
Now Pour the Frozen Ethanol hash and lipid mix, into the other frozen mason jar, do this with a funnel and unbleached coffee filter. Make sure you do the filtering process inside the freezer the entire time, until it has finished.
You can also secure the Coffee filter to the jar, by attaching just the ring for the lid to the jar.
10. After the product has filtered down into the new Frozen Mason jar, you will be left with a pristine golden liquid product void of plant waxes and fats…
What you see here, are all the residual Lipids that were removed from our initial product that have no medicinal value . These lipids make for a harsher dab/smoke, and are a serious burden to your respiratory system…
Now, Time to pour and Evaporate.
11. Grab a Pyrex dish of your choice, and pour your new filtered liquid onto the dish.
12. After you’ve poured the solution onto the Pyrex, Be sure to cover the dish with something breathable to deter airborne particles from contaminating the liquid while it is evaporating.
I put My dish into an empty cupboard.
Set the dish in any Room Temp area, and wait till it starts to evaporate and reduce down to oil.
13. When your product looks something like this, and is no longer a liquid state, but a goo state, you are now ready to scrape up and Vac-purge.
If you don’t have a Vacuum Oven/Chamber, you can allow it to reduce on a warm water bath, trying not to allow the oil to exceed 90 degrees.
Now, Scrape up your oil onto an Oil Slick pad, or unbleached parchment paper for the final step.
14. After you’ve scraped up the oil onto a non stick surface, put it into a vacuum oven/heated chamber to begin warming the oil mass until it has reached 85-90 degrees. Don’t vacuum until it has reached temp. After it has reached desired temps, you can begin vacuum purging the remaining ethanol from the oil.
15. After the product has purged, you are all finished.
The amount of time to engage in the purging process is relative to the amount of oil that you are winterizing. This could take anywhere from 12-48 hours to purge.
You now have a beautiful “absolute” dewaxed BHO product, residual free from lipids and butane.
Pictures of finished product.
Firestomper OG winterized/dewaxed Shatter